Font Size

Sewer Problems?

If you experience an overflow or back-up of a sewage disposal system or storm water system, contact the township offices immediately at 845-1277. After office hours call 911.

You must file a written claim with the Supervisor within 45 days after the overflow or back-up was discovered.  Failure to provide the required notice may prevent recovery of damages.  Contact the Supervisor immediately upon discovery of an overflow or back-up.

Mail to:

Kelly Smith, Supervisor
Pere Marquette Charter Township
1699 S. Pere Marquette Hwy.
Ludington, MI 49431


Claim Form

Specifics about filing a Claim:

Public Act 170 of 1964, as amended by Public Act 222 of 2001, requires that if you are seeking compensation for personal injury or property damage, you must show that the sewage collection system had a defect; that an appropriate government agency knew, or reasonably should have known, about the defect; that the defect was not remedied by the government agency in a reasonable time; that the property damage or personal injury resulted because of the defect; and that you own and have related the value of the damaged personal property.

You are also required to comply with the notice requirements of the Act.  Any claim you make must be made in writing within 45 days after the date the damage or physical injury was discovered.  The written notice must contain:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your telephone number
  • The address of the affected property
  • The date of discovery of any property damages or physical injury
  • A brief description of the claim
Contact Information

Emergency - call 911 (they will contact township officials/staff as needed)  ~  231.845.1277, option 5/ext.222

Kelly Smith, Township Supervisor
Pere Marquette Charter Township
1699 S. Pere Marquette Hwy.
Ludington, MI  49431